Algorithms are being used across a wide range of industries to optimize and monitor manufacturing and industrial processes. We develop algorithms in languages like python and c++ which are custom-made from scratch for your business.
While industrial optimization (or “operations research”) has existed for a while, data science and machine learning are now also finding increasing applications in industry. According to the Royal Society, demand for data scientists has more than tripled in five years. Yet, particularly in industrial applications, there is a shortage of people with the necessary skills. This makes our consulting service quite unique.
Industries left and right are being disrupted by the applications of algorithms made possible by fast processors and reams of cheap data. What can algorithms accomplish for your business? Here are a few examples:
- Optimizing manufacturing processes to minimize cost per unit and maximize product quality. For example, assembly line balancing which is an application of the mathematical assignment problem. This also includes queuing, scheduling, shipping and supply chain problems.
- Predictive maintenance – predicting which machine parts are likely to fail and when, to optimize when machine parts are replaced or scheduled for maintenance. A solution must be found which optimizes how limited maintenance and replacement budget is spent, while also minimizing failure and lost profit due to downtime
- Predicting which units are faulty early in a production line rather than late, to reduce wastage
- Optimizing network designs to reduce costs and minimize the probability of network failure
- Algorithms to analyse sensor data gathered from industrial processes, including multiple sensor fusion and compensating for erroneous or incomplete data.
- Data science and machine learning techniques can be used to create algorithms that adjust themselves based on data gathered from machinery in real time.
- See also our page on algorithms for business strategy.
Just like with the game of chess, algorithms can be either completely autonomous, or merely provide information to augment the decision making capability of human operators. Automating decisions not only allows for the more efficient use of human labor, but can in various ways improve upon human decision making. After all, an algorithm can process large amounts of relevant data, monitor the factory continuously and react more quickly.
Machine learning algorithms are in Vogue due to their ability to detect patterns and relationships in data, and automate human decision making. But not all effective algorithms need machine learning techniques.
The impact of algorithms on every aspect of the economy is only going to grow. Algorithms are taking over the world.
We develop manufacturing algorithms and provide consulting services for all kinds of industrial data science. Interested in leveraging algorithms and data science to take your industry into the digital age? Drop us a message.